Samuel Vulcano has been with the firm since 1979 and previously served as the firm's Managing Partner. He specializes in the representation of architects, engineers, and surveyors in all matters including defense of claims, disputes during projects and contract negotiation and drafting. He has been named Professional Liability Defense Lawyer of the Year for 2014 and 2016 by Best Lawyers.
Mr. Vulcano's expertise also covers construction law, trust and estate related litigation, insurance coverage issues, catastrophic injury cases and a variety of other complex litigation. He also serves as a mediator and arbitrator.
He is admitted to practice before all New York State courts, U.S. District Court for the Northern and Western Districts of New York and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He is a member of the Onondaga County, Erie County, New York State and American bar associations.
He is a graduate of Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and College of Law (summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Justinian Law Society). Based on a peer review process, Martindale-Hubbell awarded Mr. Vulcano with the highest rating attainable (an AV Preeminent rating) in the areas of Litigation and Construction Law, Professional Malpractice, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. Named a “Best Lawyer in America” in the field of professional liability, he was also selected a Super Lawyer in the field of professional liability for the magazine, Super Lawyers, a distinction based on peer recognition and professional achievement. He has served on the New York State American Institute of Architects Risk Management Committee and is a member New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Vulcano has been a speaker and moderator at the national “Invited Attorneys Meeting” for design professionals and their counsel, and also leads seminars for design professionals including sessions accredited by the American Institute of Architects.
He is a frequent contributor to the firm's publication series, whose articles include:
- Sometimes the Shot Clock is Your Best Defense: Understand Statutes of Limitations and Reduce Risk;
- Write Your Own Ticket Using Limitation of Liability Clauses to Reduce Risk;
- Mediate like a Butterfly, Arbitrate like a Bee;
- Understanding Underinsurance: A Simple, Inexpensive Step to Take today to Protect Your Business and Family;
- Condo Projects Pose Unique Risks: How to Minimize Your Potential Exposure;
- Look Before You Leap: Understand the New 2007 AIA Form Agreements BEFORE You Use Them (for Builder Architect Magazine);and,
- Your Constitutional Right to a “Bad Deal” (for Builder Architect Magazine).
Mr. Vulcano is a member and accredited speaker for the American Institute of Architects (AIA). He has taught as an adjunct professor at Syracuse University's Whitman School of Management and is an affiliate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.